Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Inspired by Wit: My Staycation Reading

When we started planning this staycation, I realized I need a book, because every vacation needs a book. Sadly, my online ordering backfired as it took longer than normal and it arrived today.

We are fans of the MPR variety series Wits at the Fitzgerald theatre and had season tickets this spring. The last show featured Minnesota transplant Neil Gaiman and I was impressed by his, well his wit. So I decided to read his book American Gods.



I haven't read any of the book yet, but the basic premise is that when people immigrate they bring their gods. However, the gods get forgotten and have to forge new lives for themselves and do so in strange and intriguing ways. I love this concept for a couple reasons:

  1. I was a religious studies major at Grinnell and we regularly studied how religions morphed when they entered new cultures. Of particular interest was how religions change in America.
  2. This feels particularly appropriate to our times. It feels like various belief systems that have been with us for decades/centuries about family, faith, government, etc. are morphing and influencing our politics in new ways (and frankly many old ways too).
I'll write a more thorough review after I've read the book.

1 comment:

  1. Cool! Now I'll know what you are up to.
    Glad things are going well - I'm sort of jealous, I've felt compelled mostly to try to catch up on the too-long deferred housework and gardening!
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete